You knew it would come to this. After all the hooting and hollering and egging me and my friends on in facing fears and trying new things, you knew one day it would be your turn. Well guess what?
Today’s the day!
Today’s the day we launch the #SomeNerve Challenge and you get to declare what fear has held you back for long enough already.
Today’s the day I (and dozens of bloggers lined up to join the challenge) get to hoot and holler and help you (and each other!) take the first step toward a bigger and braver life.
We’re in this together! Let’s get started:
1) Which fear? Do heights make you dizzy? Driving fill you with dread? Are you afraid of speaking in public, or being seen in a swimsuit? Are you buried by clutter and terrified of letting anything go? Make a list of things that make your palms sweat. Pick one.
Don’t pick blood, snakes, or clowns. You’re supposed to be afraid of those.
2) Make a plan. Google “Fear of fill-in-the-blank.” Your palms are still sweating, that’s okay. The fear will not go away until you actually do the thing you fear. Let ‘em sweat and stay in problem solving mode – if your kid or your mom had this fear, what could they do about it? Is there a class, coach, therapist nearby? Post a query below or on our Facebook page – the answers are out here but you have to come find them. Take action.
3) Tell a friend. A friend who gets things done. Not the friend who tells you you’re fine the way you are, let’s eat muffins. Tell the friend who believes in you. Tell the world. Post the #SomeNerve Challenge Badge to your status, or better yet, your profile pic. Declare your goal here and everywhere. Start a story that everyone will want to know the ending to.
4) Follow through, using any means necessary! Bribe yourself with rewards, treats, celebratory drinks if you do it– threaten yourself with the fallout (disappointment) if you don’t. Scare yourself with your intrinsic fear of death. Enough with the “one day maybe” …We’re aging by the minute, if not now, when?
5) Say wheee! And make sure someone captures you on film. Because the moment your heart is pounding, your eyes are shining, and you’ve just done something you never thought you could do, is the sexiest you’ll ever look or feel.
6) Show off your triumph! Send in your picture, your story here. Trumpet it on Twitter (#SomeNerve, @PattyChangAnker), Facebook (@PattyChangAnker), Instagram (@PattyChangAnker). You’re brave, baby! Let us lavish you with well-deserved attention.
7) Repeat with other fears, other friends. Bask in the glow of accomplishment!
You know you want this. Sure, it’s fun to read about other people, but what about you? You can go from being an armchair adventurer to being the active heroine of your own story. Right now.
Mark down this day. When you look back, will this be the day you decided to take a leap? Or take a pass?
Take a deep breath.
Click here and type
“Today, I will begin facing my fear of ___________ by ___________ “
Booyah! You’ve got some nerve! Let’s get this party started.